How to Get Rid of Mould on Walls in Your Home or Business
Hazardous mould growth in your home or business can pose risk of long-term damage to your property and serious health risk to occupants. Because mould thrives in warm, moist environments, it's essential to have proper indoor ventilation and maintain low humidity levels. Once mould is detected, however, it must be removed immediately to prevent further rapid growth. Once it takes hold, mould can become a long-term and costly process to remove.
Removing Mould from Walls
Surface mould grows in damp areas, which makes bathroom, basement and laundry room areas more susceptible. Small patches of mould on walls can usually be removed by scrubbing with bleach, distilled white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or a commercial product designed specifically for mould removal. Larger areas of mould require professional expertise for safe and effective clean up and removal.
According to Health Canada, an area of mould is assessed to be large if a single patch measures more than three square metres. For areas of this size and larger, it recommends using a qualified technician for safe and efficient removal, plus a professional assessment to determine why the mould is there in the first place.1
When Cleaning Smaller Areas of Mould
· Never mix bleach with ammonia or other cleaning agents
· Always work in a well-ventilated area.
· Keep children and pets away from the cleaning products and affected area.
· Always wear protective gear: long sleeves/pants, non-porous gloves, glasses and a mask.
· Test a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure the cleaning product won't discolor or harm your walls.
· Spray the cleaning agent directly on the mould and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
· Scrub the mould away with a stiff-bristle brush.
· Rinse the area with warm water.
· Dry thoroughly with a clean cloth.
· Repeat the process if needed.
· If the cleaning agent does damage the painted surface, and you decide to repaint walls after cleaning, opt for a mildew-resistant paint to inhibit future growth of mould.
Health Canada considers indoor mould growth to be a significant health hazard and warns that it increases the risk of respiratory allergy symptoms and can exacerbate asthma in mould-sensitive individuals.1
· Keep humidity levels indoors below 50 percent to prevent the growth of mould. Run an air conditioner or dehumidifier to reduce indoor humidity.
· Exhaust fans should be installed and used in all bathrooms and kitchens to vent heat and humidity outside. Likewise, clothes dryers should be vented to the outside.
· Stop moisture from entering a home or other building by sealing cracks in the foundation and the attic, and around windows, doors and walls.
· Make sure all gutters are clear and that the downspouts divert water away from the foundation to prevent water pooling next to the building.
· Use mildew-resistant building materials and mildew-resistant paint when renovating. You can also add mould inhibitor agents to regular paint.
When to Call in the Professionals
A small patch of mould on a wall can be removed without professional help, but if mould issues persist after you've cleaned and performed prevention tactics, it's time to call in the professionals. For larger mould issues, leave it to the mould experts at ServiceMaster Restore for safe and effective clean up and removal.
ServiceMaster Restore qualified mould remediation technicians employ the safest, most effective techniques for solving any mould problems. Our teams have the expertise and know-how to clean, remove and control mould growth in all areas of homes or businesses safely and effectively.